Music and Tech

Music and Tech

Wednesday 2 July 2014

21st Century Teaching and Learning

Mission: "Post a reflection or commentary of three separate blogs that focus and reflect on skills related to 21st century teaching and learning.  Candidates are encouraged to incorporate the ideas and themes related to Professional Learning, Blended Learning, and Safe Use."

Still reading?

Good.  I found quite a few discussions that struck me as great thought provokers, salient points about the current education system, and some changes that may need to happen if we are to truly embrace this ideology of a new way of learning.

The first one I wish to discuss, is http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/3170.  Take a minute, go read it.  I promise I'll wait for you.

===========================
Great, you're back!

When George Couros (the author) wrote "The mass purchase of devices for schools is happening way too much inwithout conversations with educators about what learning should be happening in the classroom.",  I couldn't agree more.  I have been in a school where the teachers and educational assistants were provided an ipad each, for student and teacher use, and then left to their own ... devices. (Did you see what I did there?!)  Many just ended up using it for it's picture taking abilities.  And often, I was asked for assistance with how to download an app, or asked how to incorporate it into a class.  I like to help, and will gladly give my time whenever and wherever possible, but I think there needs to be greater support in regards to what is expected and what CAN be done, or IS being done to support student learning.

I read the term "Blended Learning", and I don't know if it was just late at night or I wasn't wearing my thinking cap, but I didn't know what it was.  Now, I have to kick myself for not realizing what it was.  Here's a quick video about it.

I think this idea is wonderful, but again, for the tech savy person.  Out of the gates, this scares me a little as it seems like a LOT of work, which I don't mind, but I also want to ensure that I am not burning out and still being there for my family.  There are definitely a lot of advantages to this model, as it provides students with a chance to review the lesson in perhaps a quieter/more comfortable atmosphere, while allowing for student choice of time of day, place, and pace of the lesson.  Personally, I know I do a lot better in a "brick and mortar" environment, as I feel it allows for spontaneous collaboration and good discussions.  I like the social aspect of having somewhere to go to learn.  I do, however, also enjoy being able to take a break when I need to, and ensure I am ready to learn and not just going through the motions.

Read here for more on Blended Learning.

====================================================
What is one of my biggest scares of my students going online?  Their safety.  This blog, although a little aged, accounts for some of the fears and how to address them at a school level.  Safety needs to be explicitly taught, and should be recurring.  This should include cyberbullying as this is prevalent in many schools.

Passport To the Internet is one resource available to help educate gr4-8 students about internet safety.  It's worth a look, and I have witnessed how engaged students become when exploring this program.

Yes, our school are different from when we were there as kids, but the same ideologies still exist.  Support students and teachers, get them and keep them engaged, and above all else, keep them safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment